Wiki Toolbox
Actions

Dog Mushroom Poisoning

From Pet Health Learning Center

Jump to: navigation, search

Dog Mushroom Poisoning

Fairy rings, those big white mushrooms that seem to appear overnight in wet weather, are fascinating. They are also very poisonous mushrooms. Puppies and dogs do not know that until it is too late. However, these mushrooms are just one of many varieties of mushrooms that are poisonous to your dog.

Mushrooms can be toxic to cats and dogs.

The signs of poisonous mushroom ingestion will vary according to the type of mushroom that was eaten. The mushrooms are categorized into seven categories by testing for the toxins that they produce. There are four main categories of mushrooms that can cause mushroom poisoning. You will not know what type of mushroom, or if it was indeed mushrooms that your dog ate until lab tests are performed. Your veterinarian is the only person who can perform these tests.

Signs and Symptoms

Symptoms can occur in a very short time after your dog eats the mushrooms. At the most, symptoms will occur in several hours.

1. Sudden Dog Vomiting and/or Dog Diarrhea

2. The skin can start turning yellow (jaundice)

3. Obvious abdominal pain and/or [[Dog Swollen Abdomen ]] 4. Your dog may show signs of having Dog Lethargy

5. Seizures, similar to Dog Epilepsy, and coma can also occur

6. A noticeable increase in salivation

How a diagnosis is made

Your veterinarian is the only person who is qualified enough to properly diagnose mushroom poisoning. When the symptoms present you need to get to the vet quickly.

Blood tests will be performed on your dog and will be used to check for an increase in liver and/or kidney enzymes, which could potentially lead to Dog Liver Disease or Dog Kidney Disease. These can appear within a day after ingestion.

Low potassium and blood sugar will also be evident. These tests may not appear to be specific for mushroom poisoning, but combined with the other symptoms, a diagnosis can be made.

By inducing vomiting in your dog, the type of mushroom that they ate can be determined. This will be done if the symptoms and blood tests match the criteria of mushroom poisoning

Preferred Treatment Plan

Treatment will vary depending on what type of mushroom your dog ate. There are several treatment modalities that can be used:

1. Mushroom toxins can be absorbed by the administration of activated charcoal

2. Your vet will induce vomiting

3. Intravenous fluids will be administered if the vomiting and diarrhea do not stop quickly enough, so as to prevent Dog Dehydration

4. If your dog is having seizures, they will be treated by the vet with medications that are specific for seizures

5. If your dog has liver or kidney failure, a lifetime of medication may have to be administered

How to Prevent Mushroom Poisoning

There is probably no way you can totally prevent your dog from eating mushrooms. The natural inquisitive nature of younger dogs is hard to control. Your best options are to check your yard for mushrooms and then remove them immediately. This is especially true if your dog is allowed out of your home unattended.

The fence in your yard will not keep out toxic mushrooms and do not allow your dog to wander unattended throughout your neighborhood.

In the event that your dog starts to show signs of distress or appears to be seriously ill, it is extremely important to contact your family veterinarian as quickly as possible. Treatment must begin immediately or the consequences are potentially devastating.

Suggested Products

Milk Thistle for Dog Liver Disease Tripsy for Dog Kidney Disease

Ask an Expert

image

Dr. Janice Huntingford

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine

Customer Service

1 877 633-2401

Live chat by BoldChat

Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.

90 day money back guarantee